Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #13: Social Bookmarking

When I first encountered Delicious about two years ago, I thought it was just a way of collecting popular sites, which I guess it is (duh), but the tagging adds a completely new dimension to it. I like the fact I can click on others' tags and find stuff they have marked and instantly make it mine. I also like the fact that I can use it on different computers, but now I have to remember another password. This can really make doing research much easier with the tags. Checking out keywords and coming up with tons of stuff to browse through. If only I can convince students that they need to read when they do research...However, using these tags reminds me of "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield. His son and his roommate want to buy used books because the books' important information is already hilighted. Rodney tells his son, "What if they person who owned that book before you was an idiot?" Like all things on the web, I'll have to check it out myself to see if it's any good.

1 comment:

Cheryl Laucher said...

Excellent example! That's hilarious. One of the hardest things to teach students is the need to be discerning in their internet research.