Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #14: Techno-whati?

I think I understand this, but I found the site a little confusing to get around. It's funny, in my younger days (like I'm so old, but I will be 40 this year), I would just push buttons or start assembling until I figured something out. Now, I read the whole instruction manual before I even start, like it says to do. This Technorati place didn't come with that, so let me bounce my gist of this thing of you and tell me if I'm even in the same universe.
On the site I can keyword search different blogs. For example, If I'm trying to see if my favorite Arsenal stiker, Emanuel Adabayor, was rumored to be leaving the team, I could search his name on Technorati and it would give me every instance of the name on all the blogs that it has indexed...right? Isn't that just like googling somebody or something? But the search is limited to blogs, no? Which means I'll have a smaller pool from which to gather information. If this is the case, I'd rather just google.
Now, in terms of research, Technorati might be good if one is trying to find information that supports one's thesis. Technorati would make things very easy to do that if someone was looking for opinions of people in the fields they were reseaching. This raises a question that I have about conducting research using blogs: Are the opinions of any Jean, Joe, or Jose out there in the world credible enough for research? It seems like it would be way too easy to find a bunch of people who feel like I do, and I could quote them to death and make any point I'd like make with them as my source.
Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to search tags or keyword searches for School Library learning 2.0. I'll come back to it and try it again.

1 comment:

bookeatersclub said...

Hopefully you will include Technorati in your arsenal of resources. One of many that will perhaps provide you with the information, link or contact that you might not have found elsewhere.